Wednesday, October 3, 2012

Defying the Alphabet

It has been a long time since I've blogged.  Consequently, this post will be a huge dump of what is going on around here.

1.  I got a new job!  It's a new role but the same company and same cubicle even.  The job starts Monday next week.  I'm excited to learn something new and terrified I'm going to fail and get fired.

2. Jason is training for a half marathon with me. :)  I signed him up when he only had 8 weeks to prepare.  (I may have gotten over enthusiastic.)  The training plan must have been too aggressive because he now has a slight injury.  We're working through it slowly.  The half has a 4 hour limit, so we could easily walk the thing if he is hurting too bad.  It is his first race ever and I'm so excited that he was willing to try.  (We don't do half-assed at our house!)

3.  The bed frame is FINALLY built and we are no longer sleeping on the floor.  The bed still needs a head board, a foot board, and drawers for the carcass.  I'm not making that up, woodworkers call the frame a carcass.  The word carcass gives me the heebie-jeevies.

4.  The B is stringing words together.  It is so fun to watch her learn and grow.  My little monkey is not so little anymore.  Everything is either, "NO!" or "OWN!" around our house now.  In general there is a lot of shouting.  I can't blame her as shouting new words is much more fun than just speaking them.  Try it, you'll see.

5.  Our social calendar is filling up.  We have something to do every weekend until December.  Turns out that having a kid makes you extremely busy with birthdays, play-dates, and classes.  We could always decline, but the B is so anti-social she really needs the time to play with other kids her age.  She has started to yell "NO!" at kids that want to come play with her.  Or else she just sits on our lap and glares at them.  I'm hoping it is just a phase.


Why would you want me to spend time with the riff-raff anyway?

**Disclaimer:  The following rant is super duper nerdy.  Feel free to skip it if you are the kind of person that doesn't like a good math joke like the d/dx, d/dy, e^x joke.  (Mei, you know the one I'm talking about.)

Lately, I've been really annoyed at the iPhone 5 commercials on TV.  What is really killing me right now is when the narrator talks smack about Physics and says, "I guess the laws of Physics is more of a guideline."  AHGHGHGHGHGh!!!! I just want to lunge through the TV and beat the narrator senseless.  Physics makes the iPhone possible.  In fact it is Solid State Physics and a little bit of Quantum because the components are so small.  It drives me crazy in the same way that people say something is gravity defying.  WTF?!?!  It ONLY works BECAUSE of gravity.  The only comparison I can come up with on why this is so infuriating is if someone said, "This sentence changes the fundamentals of the alphabet."  No, no it doesn't.  If it did, you would not be able to read it.  GAH!

4 comments:

  1. Congrats on the new job and welcome to the anti-social toddler club :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! The club should organize a play date, but we have to limit it to 4 toddlers, one per corner of the play ground. :)

      Delete