Sunday, September 2, 2012

Bittersweet

This is my one place to whine about running because other friends interpret it as bragging. So I'll start with the bad. Half marathon time 2:03:39 according to my gps. Boooo. I burned so much energy dodging walkers and people standing in line to take pictures. DURING a race. WTF?!?

Good news.
1. I finished and I wasn't last. Whoot!
2. Since its my first it is technically my PR.
3. I have to admit it was fun.
4. Here is the best part, hubby says he'll train with me if I do another. WIN! We'll have to work out logistics for baby care but I'm excited.

Lesson learned... I need to train for runs longer than 13 if I want to get faster. Plus I need to practice dodging people. Any volunteers to get in my way and try to trip me?

7 comments:

  1. Congrats on your first half marathon!

    You don't necessary need to train beyond 13 miles to get faster, you would probably have better luck following a specific training plan for a time goal. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I'm glad that it is done and that it was not a disaster. :)

      Delete
  2. Nice work! Every year my husband runs a 25K and every year I tell myself that I should train for one. Maybe you've just inspired me. Is it bad that a stranger is more inspirational than my husband?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I find strangers to be more inspirational as well. With family I sometimes feel that it is a given that they'd be able to XYZ.

      Delete
  3. yaaay congrats!!!!

    here's my two cents: AWESOME FIRST TIME! hahah :) you definitely shouldn't see it as a fail that you didn't get sub-2...also, you don't know if that's your official race time, since it's possible that you're timing chip was off.

    and yes, i forgot about the people-dodging that happens in the beginning of the race...i think i tend to like to start in the back if the timing chip doesn't start until you cross the start line, because at that point it's a little bit more dispersed (the slow people will still be slow, but the fast people have jostled their way out by that point)

    training with jason will be much more fun! and also, you don't need to run >13 miles to get your speed up...i got my speed up almost exclusively with shorter fast runs, and still keeping my distance capped at 10-11 miles. if you're doing the shorter fast runs right, they should feel excessively worse than doing >13, but they will help you SO MUCH in your speed. fartleks, intervals, and tempo runs (ugh...i hate tempo runs)...but yes. those will help a lot! and maybe you and jason can do those together...like, you have to sprint a lap while he pushes bonnie, then he sprints a lap, then you guys trade? or you could sprint a 1/2 mile, and he could just do 1 lap.

    i have no doubt that you will smoke a sub-2 on your next race :D there's a race in may in PV that's really pretty (kinda hilly though), but it's a close option if you want to try and do another one. even though the uphills suck, if you train correctly i think the course is overall downhill, so you can clock a faster time :)

    sorry for the long comment! congrats!!!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Mei! I was already at the back. Running through the park gets narrow and people decide to walk in the most random spots. Also, it was a super social event so they bunched together. At some places I had to slow to a walk before I could get around them. You have no idea how irritated I was.

      Delete
  4. oh, and another positive: even though you didn't hit your goal time, you have a great starting point and your next one will only be faster :) yay for continuous improvement!

    ReplyDelete