Thursday, March 29, 2012

Paranoid Swimmer

After years of club swimming with coaches yelling from the deck of the pool,

PICK UP THE PACE!  This isn't a pool party! image from google

I've developed the skill to scope out the deck mid breath.  Now that I've added swimming back into my training (giving my shins a break), I'm really surprised at how quickly my swimming habits are returning.  Good, bad, or indifferent, I keep an eye out on the deck.  However this skill has mutated into a serious case of paranoid swimming. 

I was the only one in the pool this morning and it was too cold for anyone to be hanging out on the deck.  So I was all alone, and would stay that way.  As I swam, I kept seeing a figure walking along the side the pool.  But when I lifted my head, there was no. one. there.  It was a really creepy feeling.  Even when I kept telling myself that I was alone, I kept getting the feeling that someone was walking the deck, watching me, judging my stroke and pace.  I'm not sure what to think.  The only possible conclusions I can come up with are:
  1. I'm going nuts
  2. I'm feeling guilty that I'm not pushing as hard as I could
  3. There really is a person walking the deck but hides when I stop to look closer
I'm leaning towards #3.

tsk tsk, and you call yourself a swimmer ...

If curious, this was my swim workout (almost an hour):
  1. Warm up: 200 Fr, 100 Br
  2. 6x50 alternating Fr and Br, rest 5 sec
  3. 100 kick Fr
  4. 4x100 alternating fr and Br, rest 15 sec
  5. 200 Run
  6. 6x50 alternating 25 Fr and Br, rest 5 sec
  7. 200 Run
  8. 50 kick Fly
  9. 200 pull Fr
  10. Cool down: 50 kick Fr, 100 Fr
Also, I learned that if you don't eat before a morning workout, you're completed wiped out after.  Just, you know, FYI.

Have any activities that bring you into a paranoid space?

1 comment:

  1. ok that has happened to me both times I've been back in the pool since college! I'm glad I'm not losing my mind either. I have been dyyying to get back in with a team or even just get back in the pool altogether but I'm terrible at enforcing workouts by myself and get way too caught in my currently terrible swimming fitness and sad stroke mechanics. I would love to get out of my head and get back into swim shape though!

    Also, growing up, there was a club coach that used to yell "G-G-G-GG-G-GGOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!! GO-GO-GO-GO-GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!! nonstop during meets. She was the absolute worst to have our tarp set up next to!

    ReplyDelete