Monday, July 30, 2012

Losing at Chicken

Last week my husband and I decided to have ourselves a stay-cation since we had a babysitter gap.  The original plan was to leave bottles of milk and bowls of food out for the B while we went to work.  In the end we determined that the mess we would find when we got home and the potential of having to get her back from child protective services convinced us to stay home.  We looked at her, she stared us down, and we flinched. Score Me=0, B=1.  Besides, I had a good list of things I wanted to get done.  At least that's what I told myself.
  1. Finish the B's activity table and chair
  2. Finish the coffee table
  3. Build our king sized bed
  4. Build a step stool for a 2nd birthday present for a friend's kid
  5. Build a step stool for the B
  6. Potty train the B with the 3 day potty training guide
  7. Hang photos on the wall
  8. Clean the moving boxes out of the guest room
Take a wild guess at how many items I was actually able to check of the list.  3 out of 8 isn't bad, right?


Coffee table trundle, pre-clutter.
Activity table and chair in action.  My friend said that the B I painted looks like boobs.

Step stool in it's native environment.  It's like it grew from the hydrangeas. 

I could probably come up with lots of reasons/excuses why the rest of the list didn't get done.  The real reason is that I'm a lazy bum and a coward.  This brings me to Game of Chicken, the rematch.  Not satisfied with the loss, I embarked on the effort to start talking to the B about potty training.  Every time I talked to her about it, just sending messages that using the potty is fun and a big girl thing to do, her reaction was to throw a screaming-diva-fit.  What can I say?  The kid likes pooping in her diaper.  The guide does say to try it at 22 months.  So we have 1 more month.  Again, this is how I make myself feel better.  Score Me=0, B=2.

Final nail was when I broke down and bought the B a scooter.  She's been chasing after kids at the park on these death traps for months.  Some kids and their parents are nice and let her stand on it for a little before the babysitter pulls her off of it in tears (B's tears, not the babysitter).  Or they don't let her near it and it all ends in tears.  (Still the Bs)  It's no surprise that she loves her new wheels.  It was a surprise that with a choice between a helmet with colorful cartoon characters on it, and this Harley Davidson helmet, she choses to ride on the dangerous side.  I'm worried about what the future may bring....  biker boyfriends? 

Also here's evidence that she is a Daddy's girl.

Result of Daddy saying, "Smile for Daddy."
Result of Mama saying, "Smile, sweetie."
I think that I've got lots of chicken games to lose in the future.

4 comments:

  1. HAHAHAH i love the face on the second scooter picture... but maybe i just like disgruntled looking kids because i think they're fun to poke fun at hahahaha... well maybe it will all be relative and she'll think that you're much cooler compared to her lame aunt hahaha.

    also - i realized that my whole "if you run faster, you finish faster and you're in pain for less time" strategy only works up to a certain point. haha, perhaps you shouldn't listen to your gimp sister for running tips. =P On a positive note, I walked the whole half marathon and I'm pretty sure you could walk it and still make the cut-off time! if worst comes to worst.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think you like disgruntled looking kids because you can relate. :)

      Delete
  2. Where did you get that awesome scooter??

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. After checking 2nd hand stores, I had to bite the bullet and get the scooter at Toys R US. It was $43-ish, and made by Radio Flyer. Since it has plastic wheels, it moves pretty slow. But that's perfect for us now. The B is obsessed. Her sign for wanting to scoot is kicking her right foot out and back which she kept doing all through bedtime reading. I have to try to catch it on video, it's so cute.

      Delete