I'm going to be a stay at home mom! My husband and I both wanted one of us to be home with our children, we just thought it would be after we had 2 of them. The timeline moved up drastically when the B's babysitter told us she had to leave to take care of her sister. At first I was in shock when she told us she leaving.
 |
| This is what I was thinking in my head. |
Instead of expressing my first reaction, I told her that I completely understood the decision she was making. The next day, I took a tour of a local preschool that is really highly rated. The place was a kid factory complete with bored and exhausted "teachers". To make matters worse, the wait list was months long. That night we crunched our numbers and figured out that we could afford (barely) to live on one income. I gave my job my 2 week notice after that. I'm sure you're wondering what the B's reaction to having mom stay home with her.
 |
| Uh oh. Hide me! |
At work there has been mixed reactions. Most people had been really supportive, telling me that it's the most important job in the world etc. Another group is freaking out about who will support them when I leave. There is also a small group of people that I'll call the stick-your-foot-back-in-you-mouthers.
I have had comments like, "Can you afford to not work?!?" To which I reply, "Yes." But I am really wishing I could say, "No, I just think living in debt and on welfare is a good idea."
Another gem was, "I can't understand why you would quit. Girls that go to college don't usually give up that easily." I'll let you guess what my internal response to that one was.
 |
| Say Wha?! |
As for me, I'm terrified at the idea of having only one income. Especially with things as uncertain as they are. On the other hand, I am very excited to be able to spend my day looking at this face.
 |
| This is going to be so much FUN! (at least until the next time out) |
People say the silliest things. Haha I went to grad school and I'm unemployed, so THERE! :)
ReplyDeleteI hope you love this lifestyle!
congrats! It's a big change for sure, but you'll really start to see a new side to your daughter (well, I did).
ReplyDeleteIn the "say wha" picture, that's exactly what I said in my head before I even scrolled to see the picture. :)
Good luck with the start of this new chapter!