Monday, November 4, 2013

Halloween

This was the first year that B was interested in Halloween.  Most of the interest was fueled by her growing ability to pay attention to the world around.  First we started getting mail with catalogues of costumes.  Shortly afterwards her friends started gushing about their costume choices.  B started making elaborate plans about her own costume.  This is an unfortunate trait I think she got from me.  Her choices alternated everyday between;

1. Pumpkin
2. Snow White
3. Tiger
4. Alice from Alice in Wonderland

When this continued until there was only 2 weeks left until Halloween, I started to feel the pressure of having to get her to make a decision.  What finally helped seal the deal was sitting her down and having her flip through the catalogue until she settled on something she loved.  This took all of 5 minutes.  I don't know why I didn't try this before.

I cut out the picture of Alice that she decided on and used it as inspiration as I headed to Joann's for the fabric.  I didn't have a pattern for the dress so I just based it on other patterns I've made for her.  After 3 long days of sewing, I finally finished the dress.   As I proudly held it up for her she decided that she didn't want it anymore.  In case you were curious, her reaction made me feel fantastic.  I gave her a theatrical sigh and told her that I would just have to give the dress to someone else since she didn't want it.


You would give my dress away?!?

My response seemed to do the trick and she decided that she had to have the dress and insisted that I put it on her right away.  If only toddler logic was so easy all the time.  I just know one of these days this is going to backfire on me and I really will have to give something away.


It's my job to keep you on your toes.


We actually hosted a Halloween party the weekend before Halloween so I felt done with the day even before the trick or treating.  But B had found out about the candy and about jack o' lanterns and since I was unwilling to dampen her enthusiasm, I had to muster up some of my own.  She picked out a pumpkin of her own at the store and drew the face which my husband carved it out.  She enjoyed scooping out the seeds but refused to touch it with her fingers.

ewwwww, pumpkin guts.

Finally, the night arrived for trick or treating.  B had a blast and quickly got into the swing of asking neighbors for candy.  At one house a friendly neighbor asked her what her favorite candy was and she gave him a blank look.  I explained that she has not yet had candy before and the blank look was returned to me by the neighbor.

Unfortunately this is the best photo I have of us going to houses.
I wish I could say that I was walking around with wine in my cup, but unfortunately it was just tea.  Chamomile tea, in fact.  I party like wild woman!  Next up is B's birthday and she has requested a Snow White theme.  I'm going to try my hand at making a cake with fondant.  Wish me luck!

1 comment:

  1. haha - refuses to touch the pumpkin guts with her hands...she is truly your daughter!! :) good luck with the fondant!!!

    ReplyDelete