Monday, August 20, 2012

Am I Stinky?

Yesterday during my long-for-me run of 11 miles, I approached a lady that was going at the same pace as me. Since I had already done my first 6 miles and exhausted my self entertainment possibilities, I thought it would be a nice change to run alongside someone for the next 5. We wouldn't even have to talk. She probably wouldn't even notice I was there, I thought.
As I pulled up to her, she sped up. So I sped up, and she sped up. I did this in increments of 10 secs pace decreases until she got to 8:15 which is just too fast for me to go for 5 more miles. Since it wasn't a big deal to me (I'm in my pseudo 2 week taper), I backed off. Oddly enough, so did she.

Since I'm that weirdo, I decided to experiment on her. After 4 more miles of varying the following distance, the final conclusion was that she was okay with me matching her pace 7ft behind her. As soon as I broke into that personal bubble she would speed up until she got 7ft ahead of me. I still can't decide if I'm the stinky-noisy-weirdo, or if she's the odd ball.
Regardless of my stinky/noisy/weirdo status, it got me thinking about what really ticks me off when I'm running.
  1. People who don't stay in their lane at the track. That's what the painted lines are for!
  2. People that leave their dog poop lying around for others to step in.
  3. Running in humidity and heat. Bleh.
  4. Carrying a water bottle.
  5. Having to fuel midrun.
  6. Running into the sun.
Regarding #3, I know that others outside of coastal CA have much worse weather to deal with and I feel a little bad about complaining. However, I don't feel THAT bad. So on my list it goes. I find that the few degrees of heat slows me down by at least 15-30 seconds per mile.

I imagine #1 on stay-7ft-behind-me lady's list is having stinky-noisy-weirdos latch on to her during her solo runs.

Later in the afternoon, the B and I gave her a mani and pedi.  Too bad it was just playdoh and ended up getting ground into the blanket we place on the floor.  It was so worth it to see her tottering off to show Daddy.  I've never seen the kid walk so carefully before.  I couldn't get both her head and hands in focus at the same time, so here are 2 photos of our girly afternoon.  Yes, that is a toilet seat in the background.  We bought the fancy kind that has also has a kid's toilet seat you can flip down. 

Look at my beautiful fingers and toes.
In case you couldn't tell, my mom is a bad photographer.
Since I am going on about bathroom matters, there is a bathroom war taking place on my floor at work.  There is some lady that:
  1. Does not flush the toilet
  2. Does not wipe down the toilet seat
  3. Pees all over the floor. 
I'll spare you the photos of the unflushed toilet and the dirty toilet seat.  However, I had to share the photo of the floor around the toilet.  See all the shiny spots?  Yup, that's sticky pee.  HOW in the world does someone get spray that far?! 
What you can't see is the the spray spots extend all the way to the toilet on the left as well.

Since they haven't caught the person pee-handed, some people have been putting up signs around the bathroom.  People are so gross, I didn't realize we had to tell them to clean up after themselves.  Really though, I shouldn't be surprised since you see wash-your-hand signs in restaurants. 

A little angry.
Then there is the angrier sign.  If you can't read it, the sign says," If you have no cortesy to flush the FRICKING toilet, PLEASE go to anothe floor!!!"

Because the solution to any problem is to inflict it upon others.  Yes, we're all a big happy team.  Still, it really is super gross.  Sometimes I go to bathrooms on the other floors when all the toilet seats on my floor are covered with pee.  In case you were wondering, it's not me peeing on toilet seats.

To cleanse your palette of grossness, here's a photo of the super cute B.


If I smelled really bad, would you tell me?

3 comments:

  1. I would die laughing if I found another blog of a CA woman talking about being followed for MILES on her run and how she thought she was going to die. :)

    I love how excited she looks about her nail color!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha! I didn't even think that she might have been freaked out. I might be that crazy stalker runner. :)

      Delete
  2. If I were running and someone just jogged up to me and wanted to tag along, I'd cut my run short. ha!

    ReplyDelete