Wednesday, May 7, 2014

Yes, Butter is Dairy

Last week I took C to see a gastrointestinal specialist for her acid reflux.  The appointment was made more than a month ago and her symptoms have mostly gone away.  I fully expected the doctor to say that she must be growing out of it and just to keep up with the meds she is currently on.  I did not expect her diagnosis: milk sensitivity.

Really?
At first I thought very little of it since I'm mildly lactose intolerant and limit my milk intake anyway.  Then the doctor handed me a long list of items to cut from my diet that didn't even contain milk in the name like; casein, hydrolysates, and lactalbumin.  I've been on this restricted diet for a week now and I'm constantly surprised by how many food products have milk proteins.  Luckily Oreos are okay so I can still have cookies.

Makes no difference to me, I don't get any cookies.
Here are reasons why cutting milk proteins from my diet is not fun.

1.  Craving foods that I can no longer have
          I don't usually desire things like chocolate, cheese, and ice cream.  But if you tell me that I can not have it, I really really want it.  I'm like a toddler when it comes to food.  If it would make a difference I would feel free to throw a full blown tantrum.  Now I have to eat salad and stuff.




2.  Asking servers if there is any dairy in their food
          Yesterday I had to describe how butter was made to an incredulous Target food court server.  She did not believe me when I told her that butter was dairy.  She kept looking at her tub of butter and saying, "there's milk in this?!"  Next week I'm going to teach her how ice cream is made.  I think it'll blow her mind.


3.  Reading ingredient lists past the first 3 items
         I try to cut down on the high fructose corn syrups and overly processed foods so browsing through ingredients is not unusual.  But searching through the list of gobbledygook for a set of ingredients is like a less fun word hunt.



4.  Cooking at home more
      We used to eat out at restaurants 3 or 4 times a week.  This option really helps when I'm just too tired to entertain while cooking, cleaning, and doing dishes.  But since my food choices are limited, and servers can be difficult (see #2), we have to eat at home more.

I'm the one that has to eat your cooking!
On the bright side, C's diapers are less stinky and she isn't cramping.  A happy baby is a happy mommy so it's worth the trouble.  Mind you it's only been a week.  In another few months I may be ready to give up.
Look at me, of course I'm worth it!

No comments:

Post a Comment